Monday, June 6, 2011

Another Day, Another...

Blogfest!

Bess Weatherby is hosting a blogfest that starts today.


 I  think I may have acted rashly in signing up for it. See, this 'fest is all about setting goals, and I'm just not much of one for any kind of long-range goal setting. Ask my wife. She hates it. She likes making plans and lists, and I'm not that kinda guy. Okay, well, I do, sometimes, make lists. Because, I'm finding, that I'm forgetting more and more things that, once upon a time, I would never have forgotten. I blame it on my kids, and I know that I'm right to do so.

I do have a list of writing goals sitting next to my computer. It's a list. Things I need to work on. In fact, I had to get up in the MIDDLE of the NIGHT, last night, and add something to it. I HATE that. But, as I was falling asleep, I had this thought. A really good thought. And my brain kept telling me that I was going to forget about it if I didn't get up and write it down. I kept telling my brain that I wouldn't forget, because it would remember, but it kept saying, "No, I won't remember. Get up and write it down." I argued with my brain for a long time. Maybe an hour. I lost. I got up and wrote it down. My first thought this morning when I got up was that idea. Without looking at the list. So I was right, but I still lost the argument. Here's a one word teaser about the idea: zombies!

Okay, so... the blogfest has two parts:

1. What your current WIP looks like:

Darn, I don't what that means. I don't even know what my current WIP is. I mean, does The House on the Corner count because I'm not quite finished with my revision? I'm almost finished. I'm actually slightly behind schedule on that. I wanted to be finished with it by the end of May. All of the major re-writing is finished. I just have to finish going through it making word corrections and such.

Or is my current WIP Brother's Keeper? I mean, that is my next major project. I'm also behind on that. Because, originally, I had intended to start it in February, but that was a goal I set back before I started blogging and revising, and, see, that's why I hate long-range plans. They never work out the way I want them to. At any rate, the first chapter of Brother's Keeper is posted up in the tabbies at the top, but I'm not much further than that.

2. What your writing goals are for the summer:

Okay, writing goals for the summer... that's... difficult. See, I have these parasites that hang around all summer interrupting me constantly. I'm not one of those people that can write in bits and pieces. I have to have solid chunks of quiet without interruptions. It's annoying. However, I'll give it a shot.

a. Have the manuscript for The House on the Corner: The First Person Edition ready by the end of the day June 17 (I actually wanted that to be June 10, but, I think, since I have all these end of the school year parent/teacher conferences, that I'm not quite going to finish that, this week).

b. Have some sort of cover worked out for The House on the Corner: The First Person Edition by June 24. That's going to be a hard one. I have no artist, and I don't really know how to turn any art I may decide to do into a cover.

c. Starting next week, do (at least) 2000 words a week on Brother's Keeper. I'm not sure how that will work since I'll have afore mentioned parasites running loose.

d. Post 2-3 times a week on the blog.

Those are the have to's. There are some other things I'd like to do, but, looking at that list, it might actually be too much considering there will be swimming lessons in there, music lessons, and, um, I'm not even sure what else.

So there you have it. I wish everyone else doing this the best of luck with both the setting of the goals and the achieving of them!

15 comments:

  1. I hear you on not liking long-term goals because they rarely turn out the way you want them to. Good luck with the parasites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second what Julie said... but... it's also kinda fun to see what your plans morph into, no? That said, I had a struggle deciding to post goals at all!

    Good luck, parasites, written words, lists, and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the same way about long-term goals. I hate being held accountable. But it's the only way I get anything done! I think this is a great list -- you have your work cut out for you, but it's not so much work that you won't be able to accomplish it. And we can all keep each other accountable.

    Looking forward to those 2-3 posts a week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually make lists because I can't stand not knowing what happens. But then life happens and things get crazy anyway! You might have the right idea.

    Good luck with your goals. Also, yay! Zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juliemybird: Yeah, see, that's what I hate. I hate planning for X and getting Y.

    fairbetty: Ooh, no... plan morphing is bad! Bad! :P

    Thank you both for the luck wishes with the parasites. I just need to find them good hosts. heh

    Bess: I don't so much mind being held accountable to other people. I tend to not commit myself unless I know I can do it. It's being accountable to myself that's the problem. But, yes, keep me accountable! :)
    Thanks for doing the blogfest!

    JE: I'm really not a list person. I don't even always grocery shop with one. Of course, sometimes, I forget things, too. But a few weeks ago, I realized I had too many writing aspirations to realistically expect myself to remember them all. Especially in regards to blog post ideas, so I wrote them all down. Now I frequently have that line from Sean Connery in Last Crusade running through my head, "I wrote them down so I wouldn't have to remember them!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a non-planner you've set some great summer goals. I make lists too, and post-it notes are my favourite form of leaving not-so-subtle reminders around the house!

    Good luck with your goals!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, I have every faith you can do this. Truly. You've actually SET goals, and that is commendable beyond the wee bit of credit you're giving yourself. WRITE, then WRITE some more. Make your word count. Blood, sweat, and tears, yo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice goals - you've got some exciting stuff on your plate!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on figuring out the parasite situation. I'd thought it might be easier in the summer, because I'd have both kids to entertain each other, but it turns out they just want to play with me. Murg. This sounds great! I'm a goal setter (though it doesn't mean it will happen), so I need to go see if I can still sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I HATE those middle of the night wakings too! But hey, zombies? They're worth it.

    Best of luck with all your "have to's", and may you squeeze in a few "just for fun's" along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ellie: Post-it notes! I should get some of those. I just always have scraps of paper everywhere!

    Alyssia: Okay, I'm writing! :P Just, maybe, without all the bodily fluids?

    Michael, Trisha: Thanks!

    Shannon: Well, if last summer is any indication of how things will be... Basically, if I could just find a way to keep my daughter either in or out, I -might- be okay. heh

    Crystal: Fun? What's that? :P But thanks! Oh, and the zombie post is up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your goals sound lofty... but doable! I'm so jealous that you're already to the art point of your book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with all your goals! I laughed at your reaction to getting up at night - I love making lists and don't mind at all when I think of things just before I fall asleep. Ah, lists... now if only the items on the lists would get done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deniz: That's it! We need lists that do the work themselves! Maybe a special kind of paper?

    ReplyDelete